Friday, February 3, 2012

Ready for my advice!?

Have you ever had a clouded brain that suffers from slight confusion and shock that is holding back excitement? During that time you struggle wondering if a word should be shared? That's me. I should have lots to write about today but my inner feelings is saying, "Don't do that" In fact, "Don't do anything" I've learned and I'm still learning to wait to share your thoughts. I am a woman that can prematurely speak, act and cause disruptions within my life because I expect and expect too quickly. I remember something someone once told me years ago that has been embedded in my mind, that helps with everything. Don't expect anything and you will never get disappointed. See, throughout my life I have. Guilty, guilty, guilty. I remember when I was a child expecting that puppy under the Christmas tree. My expectation was so high that when he wasn't under the tree waiting, I went looking for him. I firmly remember the disappointment that I created. I can honestly say that sometimes I have high expectations for some of our children and it's laid me flat on my face. Through our adoption years the same thing. We thought we would adopt a child/children that didn't move any further through the adoption process because of different reasons and it was disappointing. Not only disappointing but we had to explain to everyone we told it wasn't happening. So these days my expectations are limited and my words of excitement wait. So if my advice helps.......always keep your expectations at a level you can handle just in case the disappointment surfaces the next day. "I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than fatally disappointed" - Julia Glass

"What's the first sign of lurking, hidden expectation you didn't know you had? Pain! People don't do what we want, things don't happen quickly enough, the weather doesn't cooperate, our bodies don't cooperate. Why are these moments so painful? Because our minds are focused on a static, unchanging, me-centric picture while the dynamic unfolding of a broader life continues around us. There is nothing wrong with expectations per-se, as it's appropriate to set goals and work, properly, towards their fruition. But the instant we feel pain over life not going "my way" our expectations have clearly taken an improper turn. Any moment you feel resistance or pain, look for - and then let go of - the hidden expectation. Practice giving yourself over to what "you" don't want. Let the line at the store be long. Let the other person interrupt you. Let the nervousness make you shake. Be where your body is, not where your mind is trying to take you. - Guy Finley.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"She's a rebuild"

       It's been three years since I wrote. Within those three years I've lost myself. I stopped writing. I stopped crafting. I stop...