Monday, January 10, 2011

"The road to a friend's house is never long"

I received a gift I didn't want for my birthday! I don't ask nor do I need anything. I awoke to an infection in my forehead that has swollen into my left eye! I'm not sure the cause. Possibly a bug bite. Never in my life have I had any facial deformities but on my 38th Birthday I do! My Mother told me back on January 10th, 1973 we had lots of snow just like today. It reminded her of my birth. Today I basically stayed home accomplishing my typical duties of keeping a tidy house. While my littlest son played in the snow I was able to read another few chapters of Second Wind. It's a great book. 2011 is becoming a reading year. My second oldest daughter bought me a book another friend suggested, "Three cups of Tea" One mans mission to promote peace, one school at a time. A quote Tom Brokaw made was, "Thrilling.....proof that one ordinary person, with the right combination of character and determination, really can change the world" It's about a man that builds 55 schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan mainly for girls. So I'm really excited to start this book after finishing Second Wind. My precious children awoke this morning and one by one wished me a Happy Birthday. One of our sons wrapped up his white fluffy teddy that looks like our dog Wilbur and gave it to me. When I opened it, I smiled and gave him a big hug. When I was alone I had to smell the stuffed dog to make sure that the brown marks were indeed chocolate! I placed it nicely on my bed. My twelve year old son who I referred to before spent his own money and bought me a CD and hair clips. He didn't want to wait, I needed to open the present before he went to school. It's really cute witnessing your children being so excited to give something which makes it so meaningful. Moments like these I breathe in deeply because it really doesn't last long. I might not ever again receive a chocolate covered white stuffed dog so it's important to savor these moments. Just like watching our littlest son play in the snow, he looks so small in his snowsuit but yet acts so big. During my afternoon I decided to make cupcakes, iced with little heart flakes all over to celebrate with our children. From there I had a nice dinner with a friend, with my oldest daughter followed by a movie. It was a good day. My friend that I've known for twelve years gave me a very thoughtful gift, a silver plated book mark saying, "The road to a friend's house is never long" That's true. I will drive any distance to visit a good friend. It's becoming a regular drive heading South! For now, I need to ice and take ibuprofen for my unwanted gift and send it away!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, best wishes for a great year.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hope you feel better soon! That was a nasty gift! But I love the mental picture of the stuffed puppy!
    Happy Birthday! May this year see your heart's desire granted. xox

    ReplyDelete

"She's a rebuild"

       It's been three years since I wrote. Within those three years I've lost myself. I stopped writing. I stopped crafting. I stop...