Thursday, April 4, 2013

Anything muffins!

We're moving on into a new chapter of life, so my posts are shifting. (It's about time) I've been changing my lifestyle lately with more exercise, and on what I consume. Lifestyle changes aren't easy especially when I'm the only one doing it in my home. Before I deleted 200 plus posts years ago, I was sharing many recipes that I cook for my family. I was introduced to this one recipe that I've tweaked to accommodate not only breakfast, it can be used for lunch and dinner. It's quick, easy and pre-made. I love the idea and I've been using it often! It's all about muffins!

For Breakfast:  Vegetable Egg Muffins

Egg muffins - in a bowl, mix 4 whole eggs, 14 egg whites, basil, oregano, salt & pepper, 1/2 diced red pepper, 1/2 shredded zucchini, 2 shredded carrots and 1 onion or scallions. Preheat oven, coat muffin tin with a little oil to prevent sticking. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full with mixture. Bake 30 minutes at 350 or until muffins are golden brown. All pre-made muffins can be refrigerated and reheated.

Or, Bacon and Cheese Egg muffins - same idea, use either egg whites or whole eggs, or both, add chopped bacon and shredded cheese. Experiment, add onions, garlic and switch up your recipe, anything goes according to your taste buds! This is an easy breakfast pre-made the night before for your children before heading off to school! Hamburger Egg Muffins, switch the bacon for ground hamburger!

For lunch or dinner, Black bean muffins - blend, a cup of black beans, 1/4 whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 2 egg whites or whole eggs, 1/4 cumin, salt & pepper, 3-4 cloves garlic and 1/2 onion. This makes 3-4 muffins, double or triple recipe for more. Oil your muffin tin, add mixture and bake 30 minutes at 350 or until golden brown. This recipe I used in a tortilla. Once cooked, I chopped up muffin and spread over a tortilla with salsa. It can also be used in a hamburger bun instead of the beef patty!


The above picture is the black bean muffins. Remember, you can experiment, mix anything into a egg mixture, spices, any food ingredient and make muffins out of it. The beauty about muffins - there is hidden ingredients that your children will never know of. And depending if it's a breakfast muffin, a lunch or dinner muffin - add sauces accordingly like ketchup, salsa or sour cream. Eat as is, or add a side dish or make it into a wrap or vege burger! They're also easy to pack for picnics or into your children's lunches! I love love these "anything muffins" what I call them! Anything goes - experiment and come up with a delicious full meal muffin for any occasion! Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"She's a rebuild"

       It's been three years since I wrote. Within those three years I've lost myself. I stopped writing. I stopped crafting. I stop...