Thursday, October 23, 2014

"The power of a dream"


Do you honestly feel you've accomplished what you want in life? I'm definitely not an expert or a professional on what defines a satisfactory life however I seem to preach finding that balance by taking action all the time. That if it isn't feeling complete, to take action and change. Starting by making goals. The hardest part with anyone is taking that first step then keeping that dedication moving to succeed. Throughout my life I've been all about action. It didn't matter how challenging it was, if I felt in my heart, in my soul that something needed to change, I started taking steps too change. This all began after my first marriage. After seven years I knew I needed to make some changes. I went back to school. I remarried. We grew larger and larger as a family. Now I home school. I'm an advocate for adoption, home schooling, and unique differences. I've had endless changes within my life that I never thought was going to be possible. I'm starting to remove the sentence, "I can't" from my vocabulary. This past month I've been getting up at 6 am three times a week for boot camp. I never thought, nor did I ever want to get up that early, let alone kill myself physically throughout my busy week. Not only am I going to boot camp, I attend the gym a few times a week in the evening while some of our boys are at Taekwondo. You're probably wondering why? I'm on a mission. Once I get on a mission, it turns into a dedication. It could be with education, my family, writing, making "Emily's Angels" or my physical health. Life's accomplishments continue to change with growth. I can answer my question. Have I honestly accomplished what I want in my life? No. I want to finish my book. I want to travel and hike the world more. I want to be physically and mentally strong. Goals I know I will achieve eventually with determination. I think every body should have a bucket list and start checking it off. I do. It personally makes me feel proud that I have been able, and I have been taking that action to check off goals. It gives us individual purpose because honestly, I don't think our purpose in life should be just for every one else. I am a mother of sixteen children, a grandmother of one grand babe. Common question, "How on earth do you find the time?" First off....my husband and I are a team. That's a key point. Secondly I make time for me - number one. Regardless if it's consisting on one hour a day, if it involves reading, writing or killing myself at the gym or stretching on my living room floor - I and every one deserves time for themselves. Approximately two weeks ago a friend of mine lent a book called, "The power of a dream" written by Peter Legge. I wasn't sure if I was going to have time to read it. Funny, if I want to accomplish something, (it could be as simple as reading a book) - I find the time. The book was left on my bedroom pillow. I had to read, it was right there! While reading this book I thought......."Wow! This book is exactly what I believe" How coincidental. It was like a sign. It's asking, "What are you doing for the rest of your life?" I can say, "Raising children" AND that's a fact however that's also an excuse to not live my dreams. Peter explains not to waste the little time we have in our lives. That's on a day to day basis. "Every day, each of us makes a multitude of choices that will impact our lives....the quality of our choices will dictate whether we will struggle in frustration or live an extraordinary life - the life of our dreams" Debbie Ford. Very strong words. Another good point Peter asks, "Are you afraid of failure?" You know....I was. I have been afraid of failure many times. I was afraid of change. There was a time a bawled my eyes out during a practical exam during one of my OFA 3 tests. I had a code 3 with full packaging I needed to finish within 15 minutes! When the practical exam was over the examiner asked me, "Why are you crying?" I explained, "I failed" I remember that day so vividly. He said, "Carrie, you don't need to cry, you passed 100% and will make an excellent first aider. From that day forward I believed in me. First aid employment was one of my dreams I accomplished. Even if I failed, Peter writes, failure teaches us perseverance,  failure teaches us to survive and that we're never to smart to make mistakes. Good points. Your goals or dreams can be ridiculous to some. I know mine are. I know adopting numerous children sure was. I read in one of Peter's chapters asking, who are we trying to please? "Whose life are we living?" A quote from his book that I loved was, "You can't live someone else's life and sacrifice your own dream to please someone else simply leaves you exhausted and resentful. It takes courage to follow your own path in life and sometimes it can be a lonely journey." For me as a mother of sixteen children, I want them to live their life. I want them to be happy and follow their dreams. This is what I see being successful. No matter how unique they become, and what dream they conquer. They don't need to please me. Another tidbit I've learned now having four adult children. It's their life. More key points about keeping your goals or dreams on track that Peter makes is stop blaming (finding excuses) there is no substitutions for hard work, those who succeed give it their all, you can't let obstacles stop you from achieving your dreams, if you plan to succeed, you can't fear failure and there's no need to go it alone. Going back to my bawling episode with my practical first aid exam, William James quotes, "There is but one cause of human failure and that is man's lack of faith in his true self" I lacked that back then, I don't anymore and that's why I can accomplish everything I heap on my day's plate. All the challenges, the "failures" all the life experiences I wouldn't change because it's enhanced me educationally and spiritually. I'm definitely not perfect and I'm definitely unique. My goals and dreams are real, and I know with action, with believing in myself they will become true. Right now I'm on a mission in several different directions and I feel with my own determination and dedication, plus adding positive people in my life my bucket will become full. If you want to read a powerful book, and you want to start changing, and reaching towards your dreams, read "The power of a dream" by Peter Legge. Excellent book for every one! Thank you my friend Judy for lending me such powerful words, and reinforcing me that I can do anything.  

"Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings......- The Dalai Lama. - I love this man! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Carrie! Wonderful post!! Exactly my line of realization for the day!! I love how you put yourself out to the world so honestly and bravely!
    You're right, it can be a lonely road to travel when you live for the satisfaction of your own soul, rather than to appease perceived judgements. But ya gotta keep going on it, because when people can see ONE acting consistently on their highest directives to the disbelief of the masses, it gives at least a few amongst them the permission they so dearly needed to rise up for themselves :-)
    So, thank you, Carrie, for following your calling, even though "I don't know how you do it" ;-) Heh
    Love, Erin

    ReplyDelete

"She's a rebuild"

       It's been three years since I wrote. Within those three years I've lost myself. I stopped writing. I stopped crafting. I stop...