Total Pageviews

Monday, August 10, 2015

Gerald's update

July 28th my husband was discharged from the Victoria hospital. It was one of the most emotional days that we have had in a long time. While walking out of the hospital he smelled the ocean air. Two months totally incarcerated fighting for his life then released still very sick and infected, he was emotionally and physically drained. My husband was so happy to return home to begin his recovery on a home IV outpatient program. Twenty minutes within the car ride he was having hallucinations. I thought at first it was the gravol given but when we arrived home into our driveway he couldn't get out of the car. He didn't know who I was. We called 911. He was in septic shock again. It was devastating.  Our children watched my husband and I leave in an ambulance. It wasn't the reunion every one was waiting for. That evening my husband again was fighting to survive. We found out he had a secondary infection that started, completely different from the MRSA. That night my sister, and my niece stayed with me until 3 am, while we waited, while we cried, we questioned once again, "Why?"  It's been a roller coaster the past few months. Probably a coaster many will not experience, nor would want too BUT to date we have made it. We are home again August 7th. We have a long road ahead of us. My husband has a difficult and challenging recovery to endure with many unknowns. We hope this time he remains at home! 

I'm writing while my husband sleeps. I can't believe it's been so long since I've written last. 

Here's my feelings and thoughts. I am very happy we have come this far. I remain strong and hopeful that one day I will have a healthy husband. Arriving home for the second time was a bitter sweet feeling for me. I'm continually stressed and worried that something is going to happen. Sepsis. Stroke. Heart. Some relapse. Something. I drive my husband daily for his IV treatment through his picc line. Then we will learn the IV treatment at home. This will happen for months, more likely the rest of 2015. Luckily I have many years of first aid, and I have the equipment to check his vitals when needed. 

Our journey has tested and will continue to test our strength, and our abilities to cope through the most traumatic situations. There was more then a few times I thought I was loosing my husband. I would cry into a towel so my children didn't hear me. I screamed in my car yelling, "It's not fair!" My husband for the past few months suffered physically and emotionally. A suffering I've never seen with any one. The stress I have with him relapsing is high. However we have learned to take life day by day and I'm still learning to release all my negative tension and believing everything will be "ok" 

Thank you every one for your support. We really appreciate absolutely everything.  


  1. I have been wondering how things were going. Glad to hear he is home. You are right, take one day at a time.

  2. Hi Carrie ,Mom, here many praying for you and Gerald,this is a hard trial,that many people will not have to travel. In all this many change,s take place and much growth, in area,s you will only know later.Behind every cloud is a silver lining, blessing to be thankful for, for you two, and all of us who love you very much. We are here for you alway,s , Love Mom.